BACCALAUREATE OF SCIENCE IN NURSING (RN-TO-BSN)
Beginning Fall 2020
This nursing education program is a candidate for accreditation by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing.
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta, GA 30326 404-975-5000
Tola Plusnick, DNP, APRN, CPNP-PC Program Director
Business Building (BUSI) Suite 104, RM 110
817-598-6434 • email@example.com
The Weatherford College RN-to-BSN program is comprised of nine nursing courses taken over three continuous semesters offered fully online and 55 general education semester credit hours. The baccalaureate curriculum is designed to prepare the graduate to meet the Texas Board of Nursing Differentiated Essential Competencies of the baccalaureate-prepared RN and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing Baccalaureate Essentials. This program will allow the graduate to operate within a complexed health care system and assume the role of provider of care, designer/manager/coordinator of care, and member of the profession. Graduates of the RN-to-BSN program may continue their education at the Masters or Doctorate level opening doors to become a nurse practitioner, a clinical nurse specialist, a nurse executive or a nurse educator.
- Students must meet Weatherford College admission criteria
- Students must have at least a C in all previous nursing course work
- Students must have an overall GPA of 2.5 in all nursing course work
- Students must complete all prerequisite general education course work with a C or higher and an overall GPA of 2.5 prior to starting the RN-to-BSN program.
- Have an unencumbered current Texas RN License
- Must have a letter of recommendation from a previous nursing faculty member or a current employer.
- Applicants must show proof of positive Hepatitis B immunity.
Applicants will be ranked according to their GPA in both previous nursing courses and selected general education courses. If there is a tie-breaker necessary, RNs working in rural communities as defined by the HRSA and Weatherford College ADN graduates will be given priority admission. The following general education courses will be used for ranking: ENGL 1301, ENGL 2311, MATH 1342, BIOL 2401, BIOL 2402, BIOL 2420, CHEM 1406 OR CHEM 1411, AND PSYC 2314. Course grades of A = 4 points, B = 3 points, and C=1 point.
Graduation requirement: 30 hours of the required degree must be earned through instruction from Weatherford College. If a student enrolls in the RN-to-BSN program and transfers in all required general education courses, the student will be required to take one more course at Weatherford College from the Creative Arts or Language, Philosophy, & Culture categories in order to meet the SACS COC residency requirement.
RNs will be given 36-semester credit hours for prior nursing course work.
The following general education course work must be completed prior to admission to the RN-to-BSN program:
- BIOL 2401 Anatomy & Physiology I — 4 credit hours
- ENGL 1301 English Composition I — 3 credit hours
- PSYC 2314 Human Growth and Development — 3 credit hours
- PSYC 2301 General Psychology — 3 credit hours
- SOCI 1301 Introduction to Sociology — 3 credit hours
- CHEM 1411 General Chemistry I OR CHEM 1406 Introductory Chemistry — 4 credit hours
- MATH 1342 Elementary Statistical Methods — 3 credit hours
- GOVT 2305 Federal Government — 3 credit hours
- ENGL 1302 English Composition II — 3 credit hours
- Elective X3XX Creative Arts Elective — 3 credit hours
- HIST 1301 U. S. History I — 3 credit hours
- HIST 1302 U. S. History II — 3 credit hours
- BIOL 2402 Anatomy and Physiology II — 4 credit hours
- BIOL 2420 Microbiology — 4 credit hours
- ENGL 2311 Technical Writing — 3 credit hours
- GOVT 2306 Texas Government — 3 credit hours
- Elective X3XX Language/Philosophy/Culture Elective — 3 credit hours